Thanks to Ashraf Hasson for hosting a great webinar on functional programming with Elixir on Saturday March 7, 2020.
An introduction to functional programming using Elixir Prerequisites and Assumptions:
● Prior knowledge to programming is not assumed but would be helpful
● Knowledge of the Linux command line basics is assumed but not critical
● A good command on your virtualization management tool is assumed Session Highlights
- What is Functional Programming?
- Why functional?
- The functional model/paradigm
- Setup a development environment
a. Using a virtual machine (VirtualBox backend) as an DevEnv
b. Setup a virtual environment manager
c. Install Erlang and Elixir
- Walk through the Elixir CLI
- Elixir Basics
a. Pattern Matching
e. The |> operator
- Control Flow
- How to create a project / Project Code Organization
- Parallel Processing in Functional Languages
- Learning Resources
Take away goal
To broaden your knowledge of programming paradigms, flexing your mind into thinking in a
functional way to help you solve problems and get pointers to start programming with Elixir!